Tyntesfield 2 centre.jpg
Tyntesfield 2.jpg
Tyntesfield

PROGRAMME OF OUTINGS FOR 2022

Further information can be found in the Spring 2022 Newsletter. When available

 

Departure Point for Coach Trips

The committee has made arrangements with St Marks Church, Bilton for use of their car park so, unless stated, we depart from there. We try to use as little space as possible, so please park on the side away from the church and as close together as possible.

 

 

Walk from Braunston Wednesday                                                                                    4th May 2022

 

By car we meet at Boat Inn, Braunston for a 10 am start

Organised by Mark Furber   Supported by Flick Furber

We start from the Boat Inn at Braunston at 10 am. Joining the towpath we cross the beautiful iron bridge at the junction of the Oxford and Grand Union canals, climbing back to the road and immediately crossing a stile, we follow a path across fields to the railway embankment which once carried the Great Central line. Crossing four more fields and passing Willoughby House we reach the road to Sawbridge. In  Sawbridge we join a bridleway, and after a mile cross the Grand Union canal and soon afterwards the dismantled Central Railway.
Braunston Church.jpg

Carrying on along the path, we pass the 13th century church of St Peter’s at Wolfhamcote, land enclosures resulted in the death of the village, and just past the church is the site of another “lost village” – Braunstonebury.

We carry on along the path and reach the Boat Inn where we can purchase lunch, in total we will have walked five miles.

*          *          *

Tissington Well Dressings and Tissington Hall                                            Tuesday, 31st  May 2022 

 

By coach departing at 9 am 

 

Organised by Pauline Springett  Supporter required

The origins of Well Dressing are lost in antiquity. It is thought they may have their roots in pagan customs. One theory says that the custom began just after the Black Death of 1348-9. Although the population round about was ravaged by plague, in Tissington all escaped and the immunity was ascribed to the purity of the water supply. It became the custom to decorate the wells in thanksgiving. There are 6 wells scattered around the village. In addition to the Wells, in the centre of the village stands Tissington Hall.
 The Tissington Estate has been home to the Fitzherbert family since the reign of Elizabeth I. Tissington Hall is a house of many extensions, originally built in the early 17th century, a top floor was added around 1700 and then the well-known Derby architect, Joseph Pickford, remodelled the west aspect around 1780 by adding a projecting central bay and open arcading on the ground floor. Further  extensions took place in 1902.
Tissington Hall.jpg

Tissington Hall

Our day starts by leaving St Mark’s car park at 9 am.  We will have morning coffee/tea (included) at the Coach & Horses in Fenny Bentley, before proceeding to the village of Tissington to commence our tour of the Hall at 11.30.

 

After the tour of the Hall we return to the Coach & Horses for lunch. (included) 

 

After lunch we will go back to the village so that members can view the various wells. Afternoon tea is available at the Old Coach house tea rooms but the cost is not included.

 

Our coach will leave Tissington at 4.45 arriving in Rugby at approx. 6.15 pm

Menu

Main

Roast beef with Yorkshire pudding

Or

Chicken Supreme with a mushroom &

Stilton sauce

Or

Mixed vegetables in a cheese sauce

with a herb crumble topping

 

Dessert

Homemade chocolate & orange sponge

with custard

Or

Toffee honeycomb cheesecake with

ice cream

Or

Lemon meringue roulade with fresh

raspberries

Members booked on the outing will receive a form for making menu choices when the coloured booking form is returned to you.
 

NB Tissington Hall is not suitable for people with walking difficulties

*          *          *

Middleton Hall and Gardens, North Warks                                                 Wednesday, 8th June 2022

 

By coach departing at 10 am

 

Organised by Pauline Springett  Supporter required

Middleton Hall and Gardens is a little-known site located on the North Warwickshire border, between Tamworth and Sutton Coldfield. The estate covers 42 acres which encompasses a historic manor house, an 18th century Walled Garden and the oldest man-made lake in North Warwickshire. The Hall has a long history spanning over 900 years. It has been home to many interesting characters including a commander of the Battle of Hastings, a Tudor explorer and two extraordinary  naturalists. The medieval stone building is the oldest domestic building in Warwickshire.

The Hall is run by an independent charitable trust that was founded in 1980. A lived-in family home up until 1966, the house was bought by Amey Roadstone who used the estate for gravel extraction. The company had no use for the buildings and grounds and it was left derelict for ten years. In 1977, a group of ramblers came across the Hall and were dismayed by the sorry state. They approached North  Warwickshire Borough Council for funding but the application was rejected as they deemed the Hall past repair. Undeterred they founded Middleton Hall Trust in 1980. Amey Roadstone granted them a sum of £25,000 per year for ten years to be spent purely on materials. Middleton Hall was saved by an intrepid volunteer army and it would not be standing today without them.

Middleton Hall.jpg

The Jettied Building Photo from Wikipedia

We will depart St Mark’s car park at 10 am arriving at Middleton Hall by 11 am. We will be served tea/coffee followed by an Introductory talk lasting 20 minutes. We will then be split up into groups of 15 for a guided tour of the Hall.

 

A buffet lunch will then be served consisting of:

Selection of sandwiches

Selection of savoury sides

Salad and tortillas

Tea and coffee.

 

Members with special dietary needs please indicate this.

After lunch members will be free to explore the gardens and independent shops in The Courtyard.

We will leave Middleton Hall by 4 pm arriving back at approximately 5—5.15 pm.

Special Note 

Please indicate on the booking form if you are a HHA member and a refund will be payable on the day of the visit.

*          *          *

Arbury Hall, Nuneaton, Warks, CV10 7NF                                                     Tuesday, 21st June, 2022

 

By car to arrive at 2.30 pm

Organised by Dr Barrie Bemand  Supported by Lynne Bemand

 We shall make our own way by car to Arbury Hall to arrive at 2.30 pm.  On arrival we shall be divided into groups of 20-25 for a guided tour of the house.  This will be followed by an afternoon Cream Tea after which there will be an opportunity to explore the beautiful gardens before making our own way back home. In June rhododendrons, azaleas and giant wisteria provide a lovely setting for the visitor.
Arbury Hall was first built as an Augustinian Priory in the 12th C.  Following the dissolution of the monasteries it was acquired by the Newdegate family and is the ancestral home of Viscount Daventry.

 In the 18th C, the Tudor house was Gothicised by Sir Roger Newdegate and is said to be the “Gothic Gem” of the   Midlands. The exterior is entirely encased with stone and each aspect of the building presents a separate design of stunning architecture.

 The elegant interior rooms feature spectacular displays of soaring fan vaulted ceilings with plunging pendants and filigree tracery  -  breath-taking and complete example of early Gothic Revival architecture.

 Mary Ann Evans, better known as George Eliot, was born in 1819 at South Farm on the Arbury Estate, where her father was for many years the agent. Several of her novels have as their setting, the Warwickshire countryside that she had known in her youth, in particular the Scenes of Clerical Life, which were first   published in 1857

Arbury Hall.jpg

Cheveral Manor, which figures so prominently in this series of novels, is Arbury, and Sir Christopher Cheverel, its benevolent and cultivated owner, is Sir Roger Newdegate.

The house is only open to the general public on Bank Holiday Sundays and     Mondays on 6 days a year so we have a rare opportunity to visit this stunning   example of Gothic Revival architecture.

*          *          *

Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire                                                                      Wednesday, 6th July 2022

 

By coach departing at 8.30 am

 

Organised by Roger & Catherine Jones

We will leave St Mark’s Car park at 8.30 am arriving at Blenheim at approximately 10 am.  On arrival we will have coffee in a private room and have a short presentation from an official guide after which individuals can plan their own day, touring the State rooms, visiting the water terrace, the rose garden, the Church memorial garden or exploring the magnificent parkland.  Refreshments can be taken in any one of 4 restaurants/cafes, catering for all tastes and a large gift shop is available to those who wish to indulge.

 

We will leave Blenheim at 4 pm arriving back at 5.30 pm

Blenheim Palace.png

Blenheim Palace is a country house in Woodstock, Oxfordshire. It is the seat of the Dukes of Marlborough and the only non-royal, non-episcopal country house in England to hold the title of palace. It is one of England's largest houses being built  between 1705 and 1722 and designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1987.

Named after the 1704 Battle of Blenheim in Bavaria, it was originally intended to be a reward to John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, for his military triumphs against the French and Bavarians in the War of the Spanish Succession, culminating in the Battle of Blenheim. The land was a gift and construction began in 1705 with some financial support from Queen Anne. The design was awarded to the architect Sir John Vanbrugh. The 2000 acre park was developed by Capability Brown in 1760.

Designed in the rare, and short-lived, English Baroque style, architectural appreciation of the palace is as divided today as it was in the 1720s. It is unique in its combined use as a family home, mausoleum and national monument. The  palace is notable as the birthplace and ancestral home of Sir Winston Churchill.

Following the palace's completion, it became the home of the Churchill (later Spencer-Churchill) family for the next 300 years and various members of the  family have wrought changes to the interiors, park and gardens. At the end of the 19th century, the palace was saved from ruin by funds gained from the 9th Duke of Marlborough's marriage to American railroad heiress Consuelo Vanderbilt.

*          *          *

Canons Ashby Stew Ponds                                                                               Tuesday, 12th July 2022

 

By car to meet there at 11 am

 

Organised by Isobel Palmer

Following my talk on Canons Ashby, some people showed interest in the stew ponds which are only accessible as a special tour. Therefore, I have arranged a short, morning tour for RNTA members when a colleague and I will explain the history of the Augustinian Priory.

 

We meet in St Mary’s priory church at 11 am for a talk about the early days of Canons Ashby after which we will take a short walk across the field to the ponds. I recommend that sensible shoes are worn as it can be a bit rough and wet, occasionally we find animals grazing in the field!

 

This will take about an hour. However, there is more to be seen in the parkland and Mediaeval village which would extend the walk, if you are interested. 

 

The house, café and shop will be open for you to make your visit a leisurely day or there are even longer walks for the really energetic.

A view across the top stew pond to St Mary’s church
Canons Ashby.jpg
*          *          *

Tetbury and Chavenage House                                                         Wednesday, 7th September 2022

 

By coach departing  8.30  am

 

Organised by Aileen Brown Supporter Isobel Palmer

 Chavenage is an Elizabethan manor house which is almost unchanged since its   construction in 1576.  It is still very much a family house and the Lowsley-Williams family have been there since 1891 being only the second family to live in the house.  The family themselves show visitors around the house and organise the catering.  The property contains many interesting items from the Elizabethan period and also from the English Civil War when the owner of the house was a Parliamentarian.
Chavenage House.jpg

Because of its unchanged character the house has been used as a location for many film and television programmes.  In particular fans of the very popular TV series Poldark may recognise some interiors as the Poldarks’ home Trenwith.

We leave from St. Mark’s car park and travel to Tetbury which is the quintessential Cotswold town with its honey coloured buildings. There is the Market House (1655) and St Mary’s Church (1781) and many small shops, cafes and restaurants. We hope to have about l ½ hours there to have a look round and perhaps have a coffee.  We then travel on to Chavenage House to have a two course lunch (included).  

Details of the menu will be enclosed when booking forms are returned. 

 After lunch we will be split into groups and taken on a guided tour of the house.  There will be time to look around the gardens and perhaps to have a cup of tea (not included) before we leave. We hope to be back in Rugby about 6.30 pm.

*          *          *

rugbynationaltrust